Ego and Integrity!! Two words for Performance

Ego, a small word having a big impact on peoples fitness and performance. Ego or egotism is ones excessive or exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Integrity, a word said more often than it is used. Integrity is the consistency of our actions, values, methods, principles, expectations, measures and outcomes. Integrity is regarded as the honesty, thruthfulness or accuracy of our actions.

So why are these two words so important in health and fitness and why am I blogging about it?

The source of this post comes from Saturday nights mens Grafton's fittest athlete hosted by Xplode Personal Training. Now I was not there as I could not make it, but I have seen footage and been told by others that the mens final was an eye opener due to ridiculously poor form, inconsitent rep counts and it seems a win at all costs attutude. Craig from Xplode should be congratulated for putting something on like this, most the men who competed however should be ashamed. Why? Well it seems they let their ego's get in the way and their actions and movements lacked integrity.

Now as I said I was not there so I don't want to go on any further, again good on Craig for holding the event.

What I would like to comment on is Hybrid's philosphy towards ego and integrity. Anyone who has been to our gym or done a class there you would have seen the GYM RULES with rule number 1 being LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR.



Hybrid's Gym Rules
 At Hybrid this is rule number 1 as it will have a big impact on what you do at the gym, and how you perform. We do some tough challenging things at the gym and if someones ego was brought in the door it may result in the workout not being performed properly or even at all. If we did let our ego's come in the door then we would fear failure, fear that our self importance may be affected, we are there to improve, participate, not to be the best or even conquer every workout. The failure we encourage will lead to success in the future. If you can't do something at Hybrid then it is not a big deal, it becomes a new goal, a goal that you will achieve with our help. If you let your ego get in the way you may never have the opportunity to acheive something that you currently cannot do.

In regards to integrity we encourage an integral attitude at each session, enjoy it, be motivated, be honest with your performace, do every workout with integrity. Integrity is also seen in our reps, our movemnts, we encouraghe full high quality movements, proper technique at Hybrid, if a trainer says something to you it is only to help you get better, be a better you, have a better movement quality which leads to a better life.

So there you have it EGO and INTEGRITY, leave one at the door and always bring in the other to help acheive your fitness or health dream.

Now getting back to the Fittest Athlete Challenge held by Xplode PT at the Relay for Life. As I said I could not attend but I did video myself doing it. I would not have entered to win, I would have entered to do my best and be part of a wonderful event. Seeing as though I could not be there I video taped my effort, with pretty good technique. You will see I enjoyed the experience as everyone should, I even chucked in a few dance noves. My time compared to the competiton was double what the leaders did, but I ask you this, if people performed the reps properly like I have done my best to do, do you really think that they could be twice as fast as my example?